You need to get creative when cold weather hits so your kids don’t just sit in front of a device all day long.
One of the hardest things about a four season climate like Akron, Ohio is the changes in season disrupt good habits. Maybe in the warm months you hike, and in the cold months you binge on Netflix. Maybe not. But kids need to have good cold weather habits to stay healthy and be social. Sure, school has gym for the younger kids but are you providing enough additional activities to keep the colder months active and engaging?
We assembled this list of possible things you can have your kids do during colder months. Enjoy.
- Swimming – Many indoor pools have swim teams during the Winter months, including the Kent Seariders.
- Indoor Tennis – available in many locations such as Stow, Fairlawn, Medina, Hudson, Aurora and Green.
- Karate – Lots of local martial arts studios.
- Basketball – This time of year most community centers and YMCA’s are going to have Basketball going on.
- Dance – year round exercise in every town.
- Theater – You might not think of this as a physical activity but if it is a musical they will spend hours a week working on dance moves, as well as singing and memorizing lines. Many community theaters exist around Akron.
- Indoor Volleyball – popular with adults and older kids.
- Pickle-ball – Sure there is going to be an older crowd, but they usually love getting younger people in there too. Pickle-ball is all over the Akron area.
- Gymnastics – There are many gymnastics centers in the Akron area, including Flytz in Cuyahoga Falls. They not only have more advanced gymnastics training but also tumbling classes for the younger kids.
- Yoga and Zumba – Classes kids can participate in are all around.
- And finally, there is always the option of hooking your laptop to the computer, going on YouTube and finding workout videos the whole family, or a group of friends together after school, can do together. A great workout and zero cost.
Whatever you decide, now is the time to develop good cold weather habits so you maintain good health and fitness all Winter long.